“People with dementia are still people and they still have stories and they still have character and they are all individuals and they are all unique and they just need to be interacted on a human level” – By Cary Mulligan
4.1 million People in India out of 1.252 billion are suffering from different forms of Dementia and this number is going to double in the coming years. There is no cure for dementia but the progression can be delayed to a great extent with proper management of symptoms. Here are some important do’s and don’ts for dementia management
- Behind every difficulty behavior, your loved one is trying to express a need or feeling. So try finding the cause of the aggressive behavior.
- Reorient and reassure them frequently as things around them do not make sense any more.
- Distract them with some pleasant activity or conversation.
- Try to reason, apply logic or argue
- Respond with anger or frustration
- Take accusations personally
- Introduce yourself before speaking.
- Speak in a clear voice and use short, simple, easy sentences.
- Give them time to respond.
- They will have difficulties in communicating their feelings so try understanding their hints combined with non- verbal cues.
- Direct questions which rely on good memory.
- Environmental distractions.
- Plan social visits when your loved one is in their best.
- Family meals.
- Enjoy a game together.
- Visits to crowded places.
- Interrogative statements (don’t you recognize me?), by family members.
- Strict toilet routine should be established.
- Adaptive clothing.
- Handrails and elevated seats for the toilet make it easier for your loved one to use it on their own.
- Keep asking the at regular intervals.
- Slippery floors.
- Invade their privacy.
- Always spend some quality time together.
- Play a game.
- Share memories of the past or go through pictures.
- Provide assurance through touch.
- Neglect your own emotional health for the sake of your loved one’s wellbeing.
- Have some me time despite care giving responsibilities.
- Fixed sleep timings on a regular basis.
- Bedroom to be used only for sleeping.
- Use sedatives for as long as possible.
- Avoid day time naps.
Persons living with Dementia are capable of more than we can imagine, all they need is a bit more of our time and acceptance.
We at Samvedna Care aim to help seniors live happy, active and independent lives, in the comfort of their home and community through interactive caregiving.
Samvedna Care was established in October 2013 with two complementary goals – firstly to provide quality home care services to seniors with limited mobility and social interaction due to various constraints, and secondly to facilitate stimulating community interaction and participation.
Our Dementia Care services are
At-home services –
Dementia intervention activities by trained Care Specialists (already mentioned above)
Day Wellness Centre, Sector 57 Gurgaon –
A place which provides your loved one with social activities and therapies to enhance quality of life, relief for caregivers, and also an alternative to institutionalized care.
Dementia Support Group –
Our Dementia Support group in Delhi NCR is a platform for caregivers to share feelings and support each other. We meet once a month at the Samvedna Senior Centre in Gurgaon.
Please call us for more info – 98184 21446, 124 4229659